Printing error

I think

1 to 20 of 52 messages
12/05/2007 at 10:44
Having just read most of June's 2007 magazine, I was interested in reading the Mission about The philosophy of lightweight backpacking.
Reading away i was looking at the kit worn and then it struck me at the end, quote Claire's lightweight kit consisted of (amongst other things) a GOLITE PHANTASM jacket? Looking closely I'm sure it was a MONTANE badge on display and it looked very close to the Superfly jacket so I thought, lets look at the GOLITE website and I found this picture of the PHANTASM.
I don't think its the same as the one being worn but I may be wrong.
Either I'm right or I'm sure I will stand corrected!

If only there were more days in the week so I could spend more time out there.

12/05/2007 at 11:57
The would be Trail Magazine.

See nice item about it here.
12/05/2007 at 12:06
Nice pic ptc*. I thought the Trail article was so one sided and they obviously set out to rubbish the 'lighten up' philosophy.
They only succeeded in making themselves look stupid!

12/05/2007 at 12:11
Me and my mate fastandligt are on there all the time bickering with them about gear.

We're organising a meet to try and prove that lightweight gear works.
GT is a good bloke I'm finding, and there's a few regulars from here over there as well.
12/05/2007 at 12:18
Might have to join you and defend the lightweights!:-)

12/05/2007 at 12:25
Good lad :o)
12/05/2007 at 12:52
you're right ptc, any fool can be uncomfortable, and failing to acknowledge likely conditions guarantees at least a miserable trip or possibly a serious accident/incident, brought on by the debilitating effects of prolonged cold and the reduced quality of decision making which stems from it. yes ,reducing UNNECESSARY weight is a desirable aim, but just going all out for the lightest simply because it is the lightest ??? lets not get too carried away or too obsessive about shaving every last gram. the experience needed to use much of this "benign climate inspired" gear is usually acquired after a long apprenticeship,and I cant help feeling uneasy at this headlong rush into what is unknown territory for many outdoors folk when using it in our often rapidly changing weather. time to apply a bit of gentle braking and think more objectively,regards barry
12/05/2007 at 13:00
What you say Barry is perfectly true, on the Trail forum this is what we're trying to put across.

It's worth reading the four pages of the forum thread to see some peoples reaction, not least Matt Swaines.
12/05/2007 at 13:40
thanx for that ptc, I'll give it a look, tell us more about that lightweight meet you mentioned, looks interesting.
12/05/2007 at 14:20
It's on the Trail Talk section on the forums over there.
The idea was a couple of folk to come up to Scotland and do a high wild camp with us and witness that wearing trail shoes etc isn't a fantasy of our own making.

Here on OM people are used to the concept, but Trail readers aren't and it seems like a good idea.
I was really annoyed about the article and this seemed a good way to address it as we can write it up afterwards, put it on the forum and the fastandlight blog and hopefully encourage others to try it.
12/05/2007 at 15:48
fastandlight blog?

Hi ptc, is this a seperate blog or again is it on the trail site forum?

12/05/2007 at 15:48
Having read the trail thread I can now see I was right about the jacket anyway.

12/05/2007 at 15:55
Simon it's part of the fastandlight website. It was originaly used for updates before the launch of the site, and since as a means of updates and info.
It's going to feature more of our adventures and the like in the future. So after a wee while it should be pretty good.
12/05/2007 at 16:02
Right found it.

Thanks, I'll take a good look through.

12/05/2007 at 16:48
ptc can see why it annoyed you : they have a knack of trivialising things and just skating over the surface of subjects worth much closer attention. They have a lot of good ideas but issue after issue is reduced to comic book level......just a consumer magazine, glossy and shallow. will visit their site again if only for the pleasure of seeing you and fast and light giving them a blasting. I just wish they would cover fewer subjects per issue and do them in depth,to bring authority to what they write. maybe I'd be better off looking for another outdoor mag as trail certainly dosnt cut it for me.
12/05/2007 at 19:08
That Trail article was a complete travesty of going light; due I suspect to a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept. Well done ptc for pointing out the reality. Matt Swaine doesn't understand the responsibility he has to his readership {especially the inexperienced} to provide balanced and informed comment rather than a 'rant'.
12/05/2007 at 19:18
Nice to see someone still pushing Scarpa SLs for hiking. I bought a pair on the recommendation of Trail, and only found them useful on the Winter Skills meet. Otherwise they now sit there gathering dust.

Hike your own hike. If someone wants to spend the money on heavier gear, then I say let them. Like me, in a couple of years time they'll come round and go, "well, I didn't need to suffer" and have a look at new products/new materials.

If someone can't see an advantage that's their problem, not mine. I hate the Web as a medium for so-called discussions. Face-to-face meets are, not the Web, where people can get entrenched behind their keyboards.
12/05/2007 at 19:43
It's a wee bit unfair to say that the guy doesn't understand the responsibility he has to his readership, surely? You might not agree with him but he was expressing an opinion.

And invited everybody else to express their view via the Trail forum at the end of the piece!

Lighten up indeed!

;)

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."

12/05/2007 at 20:49
Scott, can y'tell it got my goat? :)
My point being that an article titled 'The philosophy of Lightweight' could have been an opportunity to explain what to many of the Trail demographic is an arcane subject. Rather than providing clarity the article was confused and confusing. A missed opportunity.
12/05/2007 at 22:38
Trails readership appears, by the forums membership anyway, to be largely made up of inexperienced walkers or those new to walking.
TGO appeals to the old hand more and it assumes experience and knowledge in it's readers.

When Trail gets it wrong, it's impressing on a great many folk an idea which they will take to heart without question because they might not have another point of reference.
If they came on here they would learn quickly indeed, for all of our faults, fights etc, OM is a fantastic database of people and knowledge which has helped me many times over the past few years.

So, I do think that Trail does have a certain responsibility to it's readership, and one which Matt Swaine did not have the knowledge, experience or interest to supply to his readers by way of a reasonable, intelligent acticle on a very interesting subject.
GT should have written the piece.

I couldn't really give a monkeys, I'm weatherbeaten enough to get on with it myself. It's the poor sods left carrying the weight of hell upon their shoulders up Faifield tomorrow afternoon because 'Trail said so' I feel for.

So yes, come and sign up over there and talk some sense. The access to the staff is very good and by and large they come over as good bunch.
1 to 20 of 52 messages