Transporting an 85L pack

What's the best way?

13 messages
22/02/2012 at 18:24

Are the airline (SAS) going to make a big deal over my full 85L pack and the sleeping pad strapped to it? I can imagine the sleeping pad going missing, somewhere between my departure and arrival.

So how do you transport yours?  Have you had any problems?

22/02/2012 at 18:28
I take a roll of gaffa tape with me and rap it up like a mummy.
never had a problem.
22/02/2012 at 18:47
Depends on the weight and if its likely i.e. they think you've got anything naughty in there like say fuel. As for the sleeping pad make sure its VERY well secured. I don't think you'll have a problem but nothing in life is certain.

Last trip took my 100ltr Naos pack on 7 flights using 4 different airlines and had no problems other than there was an absolute insistence that it was weighted and that it couldn't be over-weight. I had to carry it to the oversize luggage area a few time and was told to make sure there were no dangly straps.

Pay extra.... fly direct.
22/02/2012 at 19:25
Bedouin wrote (see)
Depends on the weight and if its likely i.e. they think you've got anything naughty in there like say fuel. As for the sleeping pad make sure its VERY well secured. I don't think you'll have a problem but nothing in life is certain. Last trip took my 100ltr Naos pack on 7 flights using 4 different airlines and had no problems other than there was an absolute insistence that it was weighted and that it couldn't be over-weight. I had to carry it to the oversize luggage area a few time and was told to make sure there were no dangly straps. Pay extra.... fly direct.

Unfortunately it's not possible to fly direct. But the weight won't be an issue. I like to travel light.

Thanks for the cling film idea GOF I'll be sure to use it.

22/02/2012 at 19:44

A large duffle bag (like this) adds a lot of security against damage, but then you need somewhere to store it until you fly back.  Clingfilm is the next option - a lot of european airports offer this as a service, for a price.

SAS checked baggage weight has dropped to 20kg within Europe and they will normally charge if it's over this, with a maximum single item weight of 32kg

22/02/2012 at 21:08
Lemming wrote (see)

A large duffle bag (like this) adds a lot of security against damage, but then you need somewhere to store it until you fly back.  Clingfilm is the next option - a lot of european airports offer this as a service, for a price.

SAS checked baggage weight has dropped to 20kg within Europe and they will normally charge if it's over this, with a maximum single item weight of 32kg

I like the idea but the weight is a bit of a pain, like you say storing it until I need it again is also a bit of a pain. Think I'll stick with the cling film idea.

Are you sure about the 20kg weight? On their website they still say it's 23kg

22/02/2012 at 21:56
I used one of these to fly to the states with an 85L pack, weight wasn't an issue - 26 days of kit was 11Kg.  Folds into it's own bag nice a small. Gives a bit of extra room for any goodies coming back too . Ignore Go's picture - I didn't really put my pack in a mossie net
orb
22/02/2012 at 22:00
I made a bag out of ripstop parachute fabric from Fabricsnstuff [99p per metre.] with a simple cord and cord lock top to put my sack in on trips by air,weighs 94 gms and holds my 75 litre pack .Stops any damage to straps etc and just carried with me till my return trip.You usually have to go to the special bagging area with it 
Edited: 23/02/2012 at 09:27
orb
23/02/2012 at 14:54

I've had a lot of hassle at various airports/with various airlines [but mainly EasyJet], taking a North Face duffle.  Even if I tie up all the dangling straps so they can't snag on anything, the check-in people really don't like these bags.  Tried the paid-for wrap-up service at Gatwick last summer: wrapping largely fallen off by the time I got the bag on the scales.

But, I have a great Outdoor Designs rucksack cover with a simple zip fastening which takes my Macpac Glissade very neatly and has never caused as much as a raised eyebrow at a check-in desk.

23/02/2012 at 15:00
Yep, same as Slioch with the OD rucksack zip-up. Works a treat.
23/02/2012 at 20:32

Is this the  Outdoor Designs cover that I'm hearing good things about?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-designs-tote-cover-large-p103979

Any idea on whether it will fit an 85L MacPac Torre with a sleeping pad wrapped around it?

24/02/2012 at 00:04

I put mine into a large hold all, saves all the faffing about with cling film, etc.

Airlines seem to like it to, no straps to get caught in conveyers, bits falling off, less likely for 'sac to get ripped.

Mine fits into a 2lt sack, weighs 0.75kg, if I'm going back to same airport, I'll leave in left luggage, or as at Information desk if someone can keep for me. I've not had a problem, either way, sometimes one of the car hire desks have kept for me, even if I haven't hired a car.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

25/02/2012 at 16:11
You have special lightweight 'duffles' who have a double function as flightbag and raincover. You can find them at any outdoor shop I think
Your say
email image
13 messages