Wild camping in Bodmin moor?

6 messages
12/01/2012 at 13:56
Can you wild camp in Bodmin moor, Cornwall? Any restrictions and can you have a fire? Thought I'd check before I went up and pitched my tent
12/01/2012 at 14:04

You can't (legally), and unless you go during some particularly miserable weather you may find it to be surprisingly busy. Its a small place and access is extremely easy. If you are going to camp, probably best not to light a fire because that's probably the easiest way to attract the attention of someone keen to move you on.

Last time I was there I used a campsite, South Penquite. Seemed reasonably priced to me, they allowed fires and had unmetered hot showers, Luxury! They're also only a few minutes walk from the pub in Blisland, which was excellent.

12/01/2012 at 14:04
There is no legal camping as far as I'm aware.
I seem to remember some laybys had signs with no overnight parking as well, that was a while back though.
12/01/2012 at 19:43
Go to Dartmoor instead?  And then you wouldn't need to post in the foreign travel part of the forum!  Dartmoor is still part of England, but cross the Taymar and...
12/01/2012 at 20:09

Much of the central area of the moor is farmland (sheep farming mostly but a few cattle too in summer). I've often seen farmers on quad bikes feeding sheep on the remotest areas of  the moor - it is surprising how well quads cope with the roughest terrain.

Certainly there is no right to camp on Bodmin Moor.  AFAIK, Dartmoor is the only substantial area in England and Wales (it's different in Scotland) where wild camping is specifically allowed - even in camping-friendly places such as the LD it is tolerated rather than allowed.

As Serriadth says, most of Bodmin Moor is easily accessible - even the centre is bisected by the A30 - and although it is criss-crossed by footpaths many are not rights of way, merely permissive paths (such as the track from Rough Tor to Brown Willy).

I would strongly advise against lighting a fire. That would certainly attract attention to you - the glow by night, the smoke by day - and would be entirely counter the 'leave nothing but footprints' approach to wildcamping. 

All that said, if you seek out a really secluded spot well away from tracks and livestock and if you don't light a fire and if you pitch at dusk and strike camp at dawn, you'll probably get away with it. If the 'Beast of Bodmin' doesn't get you, of course...

01/04/2012 at 16:10
There is a good spot to camp in south Bodmin near Minions., just 1km west of cheesewring quarry in another smaller quarry. It may not sound pretty but there is grass, several places to pitch that are flat and easy access from the car park 2-3km.

If your in the north moor there is nice wood west of Brown Willy nr King Arthurs.
Your say
email image
6 messages