Around the Etive Mountains 5-day backpack

14 messages
30/03/2012 at 21:06

A varied low-to-mid level trek around the Etive group of mountains bounded by Rannoch Moor, Loch Etive and Glen Kinglass, mainly on good paths and tracks.

The outward eastern route follows a section of the West Highland Way (WHW) over the shoulder of Mam Carraigh to traverse Black Mount to Kings House and the foot of the Devil's Staircase.

The north-western section ascends between the towering Buachaille Etive peaks through the Lairig Gartain, a fine old pass route linking Glen Coe and Glen Etive with a beautiful mountain view towards Loch Etive from its summit.

The south-western section hugs the eastern shore of Loch Etive as far as Ardmaddy, flanked by Ben Starav and Beinn Trilleachan.

The southern route returns along Glen Kinglass and ascends to a superb central section with a splendid mountain view to the north, reaching Loch Dochard and the Abhainn Shira.

An extraordinary spell of weather for March mandated the investment of resources for a Scotland backpack: very warm sunny weather by day and freezing nights, only slightly marred by a thick haziness to the some of the mountain views. No complaints though, this was a splendid backpack with virtually nobody around, just a handful briefly in the vicinity of the Buachaille: from halfway up the Lairig Gartain to the end of the trip we saw only one walker, who was doing a similar route in reverse. Even the Black Mount section of the WHW was deserted. Very little snow remained on the mountains, just scattered pockets on the uppermost slopes and the odd corrie edge fringed with white.

Full report & photos

edh
31/03/2012 at 07:33
I am convinced your camera has a warm yellow filter permanently attached to it Geoff

Fine looking route.
Edited: 31/03/2012 at 07:34
edh
31/03/2012 at 10:11
A great use for the weather window too
31/03/2012 at 12:06

Very nice.

01/04/2012 at 16:07

Many thanks all.

»GOF: ah work, I remember that, much better now being a full time grumpy able to take off anytime in the (probably only) good spell of weather for ages in sunshine, you know what retired folks are like...

»ed: Interesting thing about the yellow actually: in Spring the grass is like bleached straw and it definitely has an effect on the perception of the whole frame by the camera.

01/04/2012 at 19:40

Nice!

That must have been very enjoyable. Looks great.

01/04/2012 at 21:58

nice walk made even better by the weather i had a few days in knoydart on the friday 23rd  only saw night time lows of 6c at high camps and walked out to beach again on the sunday afternoon with a high of 23.9c and no midge......scotland cud be the new Lakes if they got rid off them evil midge ohh and moved it closer to the lakes for me

03/04/2012 at 14:46

Indeed, a superb trek.

It must have been an inversion with lows of 6C at high level, it was really cold at night at low level. It could definitely do with moving closer, a trip up there is a significant investment.

03/04/2012 at 15:00
peter dixon 2 wrote (see)

......scotland cud be the new Lakes if they got rid off them evil midge ohh and moved it closer to the lakes for me

Well exactly. Wihout midgies, Scotland would be covered in holiday villages and Geoff would never have been able to enjoy the solitude that he did.

More midgies, that's what I say

03/04/2012 at 16:22
Nasty Kev well said but a bit nearer would help even Malliag and back for my trip to Knoydart cost over a £100 in juice .But it's nice that it's not busy
04/04/2012 at 20:47

Fantastic. I love reading about your trips and its something I'd love to do. Maybe one day

NIce One

15/04/2012 at 11:49
The pic 'View towards Loch Etive from lower down Lairig Gartain' is jaw dropping ! What an amazing trip. Your web site is fantastic btw.
15/04/2012 at 12:51
Some cracking river shots, really like the one of the River Ba from the Bridge. Just looks like so much space up there... cracking capture of it.
15/04/2012 at 13:45
Lovely stuff Geoff!
Your say
email image
14 messages