Lake District - All Fool's on Cunswick Fell.

20 messages
23/04/2012 at 07:13
I was by myself today, Edith preferring to catch up with the garden. The morning was fine & bright and on the chilly side as I set off for this short walk and I was hoping for some good views.
It was however All Fool's Day and however much we try it is still possible to be caught. But can the wather know the date?
Pictures from the walk are now available to view on the website for those wishing to do so.
Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/
23/04/2012 at 08:34

NICE SHOTS DAVE

Is this the hill just at junction 36 the lakes?to the right? always wondered what it was like up there...

Dont follow me!!

23/04/2012 at 12:02
* THE DIDSTER * wrote (see)

Is this the hill just at junction 36 the lakes?to the right?

Dids, do you mean the flat-topped rock strewn hill about one mile south of J36 on the east side of the motorway (right-hand side if heading north)? If so, according to the OS that one is called Farleton Hill and the east side of the summit is Newbiggin Crags.

AFAIK, Cunswick is the high ground just northeast of Kendal (not far from the big roundabout north of the town on the A591). But there may be another place with the same name, of course.

...always wondered what it was like up there...

Farleton? Yeah, me too. I gaze up at it every time I drive past. There seems to be footpaths (according to the OS map) and a National Trust symbol at the summit.

Tell you what - next time you or I go to the Lakes, we should go up there - the first one to do so can post a brief TR about the hill.

23/04/2012 at 12:11

ok Skip matey your on,a little detour before or after a weekend away will be fun... i like the bit of the limestone gully that cuts through the top...

this ne...

Dont follow me!!

23/04/2012 at 12:38

I'm not up there until the second week of May. You?

BTW, I am definitely NOT hang-gliding that hill!

23/04/2012 at 12:44
23/04/2012 at 13:06
This walk does relate to Cunswick Fell near Kendal along with its sister fell Scout Scar,
Gronk has posted a link to one of our Farleton Knott walks which is the lump to the east of the M6 which is well worth a visit if you like limestone landscapes.
Regards,
Dave
23/04/2012 at 20:03
Thanks for the clarification Dave and for the link Gronk. As you can see, it's now a race to get up there first between me and The Didster
23/04/2012 at 20:18
i only live 50 Min's away so let the battle commence

Dont follow me!!

23/04/2012 at 20:49
i only live 50 Min's away so let the battle commence

Unfair advantage - it's over four hours from here!

24/04/2012 at 02:15
its not when I saw the speed you ran up Kirkfell that Sunday morning before breakfast

Dont follow me!!

24/04/2012 at 06:41
Probably best done in May when the orchids will be in flower....so shake a leg.....lol and enjoy.

Dave
24/04/2012 at 07:16
its not when I saw the speed you ran up Kirkfell that Sunday morning ...

Ah, but you didn't see me staggering breathlessly with a full pack in Nick's wake up Scarth Gap the day before

Dave Brown 2 wrote (see)
Probably best done in May when the orchids will be in flower....so shake a leg...

That's when I'll be up there next, Dave, so I'll keep an eye open for the limestone flora. As to shakin' a leg, it's more a case of catching my breath! Note to self: must quit smoking!

03/05/2012 at 19:49

@ Didster

If it's not pissing it down, I'm going to do Farleton on my way to Langdale on Sunday. I take it you've not been up there yet?

03/05/2012 at 20:27
no mate been busy being forty and off down Portsmouth next weekend so looks like your going to win

Dont follow me!!

05/05/2012 at 16:46
Excellent- I've been wondering what it's like up there for years. It's so prominent from the motorway. I think we shall have to give it a go one day soon.
05/05/2012 at 20:36
I'll let you know, Sam - I plan to walk up there tomorrow
07/05/2012 at 14:49
Yes please!
14/05/2012 at 19:17

Sam Harney wrote (see)
I've been wondering what it's like up there for years...

It turned out to be a cracking little hill. Dave mentioned the orchids (above) and I saw loads of 'em. I'll rattle off a trip report later.

* Didster * wrote (see)
...looks like your going to win ...

Yup

15/05/2012 at 09:48
Here ya go... Trip Report
Your say
email image
20 messages