Alpkit Jeanius Jeans Tested

16 messages
17/04/2009 at 22:19
I love these - only problem is the button fly - not practical with cold fingers....plsu the wind gets in!
17/04/2009 at 23:22
18/04/2009 at 09:39
Jeans for me are an item you can wear to do the gardening, fix the car, wipe greasy hands, and generally slob about in. At a whopping £55 a pair I'd consider these a bit expensive. My last pair of jeans were £4 from Asda (cheapskate), and they're still going strong. I paid less than £55 for Rab VR pants. Perhaps I've missed the point.
18/04/2009 at 16:24

Button flies - is there a purpose? I have recently invested in jeans with a button fly and now understand why queues in York's club toilets have got larger since button flies became a regular thing...

These jeans look great but are pretty pricey - I thought Epic was a cheap fabric, and making jeans isn't difficult...

Here is my blog: http://gearandmountains.wordpress.com/ Come have a look!

18/04/2009 at 16:51
Yeah but in this image obsessed society of ours surely everyone will think youre a jean wearing twat in the hills,you know the ones that are cold when wet and cold when damp.Sorry not for me at any price.
19/04/2009 at 01:29

I find that any decent fitting pair of jeans that are not drain pipes cost around  £50 anyway. £55 for an extemely comfortable pair of jeans that are great for low level wanders/base camp/impromptu scrambles etc is a fair price, in fact I would say they are a bargain. I wouldnt take them high into the hills but I dont want to constantly be wearing technical troos with stretch knees etc. It all depends on what you do, they are perfect for me but if the only time you venture into the outdoors is to hit big hills then they are pretty pointless. I spent alot of my time wandering round the gower coast where full on mountain gear makes you look a bit daft. A pair of casual jeans that wont punish you should you be caught out in bad weather can only be a good thing.

Its like most outdoor gear, perfect for the intended use but makes you look a bit stupid in the wrong situations.

Everyone that is rubbishing them seem to be very narrow minded. They are not designed to be used as full on mountain troos, actually I think alll jeans should be made from epic. All the benefits but no disadvantages, just dont expect more than they are capable of.

Does anyone complain about softshell gear made from other materials, they are exactly the same. they have limits! you wouldnt wear a softshell top expecting it to cope with all tpes of weather, use common sense with any softshell garments.

Im going to end this mini rant now as im a wee bit drunk and I have forgotten my point! hahahah goodnight al!

19/04/2009 at 04:44

Hear, hear to the above.

I'll second all that Mutley had to say.

I've got a pair of the prototypes & I'm more than happy with them, top bit of kit, choose when you wish to wear them for yersen. A great idea that actually works.

Alpkit are a fantastic set of people, with some brilliant ideas, all at decent prices & with a smile

19/04/2009 at 17:53
Johnny Parsons 2 wrote (see)

Hear, hear to the above.

I'll second all that Mutley had to say.

I've got a pair of the prototypes & I'm more than happy with them, top bit of kit, choose when you wish to wear them for yersen. A great idea that actually works.

Alpkit are a fantastic set of people, with some brilliant ideas, all at decent prices & with a smile

Thirded - I have the prototypes too
20/04/2009 at 12:18

I bought a pair of these a couple of weeks ago, and I'm extremely impressed . The cut is great - spot on for me - but I'm reasonably thin. Great for casual walking and craging - probably too hot for summer wear though.

If you are a slim build then I'd really recommend them 

They are similarly priced to other quality jean with the added advantage that they are very water resistant and wind proof.

I only buy jeans once every 3 or 4 years and wear them to death (Usually Levis'), so I'll consider them value for money if they last me a few years hard wearing.

20/04/2009 at 12:31
I personally wouldnt bother with them for "outdoor" activities as I just dont find jeans that comfortable to walk in.

I wouldnt turn a pair down for normal jean wearing times though, rather they were waterproof than not I guess, although wont be in a rush to get any at that price.
20/04/2009 at 12:50
"I only buy jeans once every 3 or 4 years and wear them to death (Usually Levis'), so I'll consider them value for money if they last me a few years hard wearing."

Good lord man - I go through a pair of jeans every 6 months!
20/04/2009 at 15:12
I was very impressed with my prototypes to start with but now the water repellency is basically gone, and ironing didn't seem to make any difference.
20/04/2009 at 22:17
would be nice for grit cragging where 'posh' outdoor trousers just ger wrecked. Shame they've decided to make them slim fitting. Some of us aren't fat, we just have muscles in our thighs. Grrr
24/04/2009 at 20:46

I've been bouldering in my prototypes since october last year and they are absolutley perfect, extremely hard wearing, best trousers I've had for this.  Washed them a few times and so far still water resistant.

Alpkit do say they're not serious walking trousers.

Don't really like the cut for pub or town, bit baggy, takes me back to my madchester days and the pocket detailing is gay, other than that I absolutely love them.

02/05/2009 at 07:38

De javu.

Rohan have been doing jeans for years with a lighter, less bulky fabric. Possibly not as water-resistant but probably not as absorbant as 100% denim with their Coolmax content, and a much faster drying time when washed/saturated.

2/3 of the weight and bulk. Give me the Rohan's anytime.

02/05/2009 at 10:38

The Alpkit jeans are primarily for climbing so they need to be hardwearing, I don't think they're that bulky at all.

I've never noticed Rohan jeans, will check them out later today hope they're styled a little more fashionably than their other stuff, that said I don't find the Jeanius areparticularly stylish.

Your say
email image
16 messages