Britches

1 to 20 of 43 messages
08/01/2011 at 21:54
Does anyone still wear walking britches. I remember as a teenager in the 80s making my own from a pair of green army style trousers, cut of below the knee with velcro sewn on to fasten. A boring thread I know but just curious after seeing a photo of me and my Ten Tors team mates all wearing them. I never see them in the shops and a 26 year old walking buddy did not have a clue what I was on about.
08/01/2011 at 22:16
Me.   Put them on over normal trousers when it rains.
08/01/2011 at 22:23

Rohan re-launched Superstrider breeks last year, but since they're now deleted from the range I guess they didn't sell very well.  Shame, they did a nice job with them.

They still have some at a bargain price, clicky...  I had a pair (from the bargain bin) for Christmas.  They work very well if you're wearing gaiters as there's no need to pull up a le's worth of material with each step.

Pete.

08/01/2011 at 22:27
3/4 lenghth jogging bottom seem very much the modern version of them.
08/01/2011 at 22:33
Overbreeches still make sense.  The weight of them doesn't drag like overtrousers (as Peter said, but somehow it matters more with overtrousers) and if you are wearing gaiters anyway the bottom bit of full length o/trousers does no good.
Edited: 08/01/2011 at 22:45
09/01/2011 at 08:25
I still have an original pair of Rohan Super Striders. I don't wear them now - the waist won. 
09/01/2011 at 08:36
I wear 'long shorts' most of the time when walking; Prana, Jack Wolfskin, TNF, Arcteryx all still make 'capris' - which as far as I can see are the same as britches.
09/01/2011 at 13:57
Might see if I can find me a pair, would give my Explorer Scouts a laugh. I expect they are comfy to walk in.
09/01/2011 at 14:05
Then there's people who wear tights. We could go all gangsta & talk about hose & britches
09/01/2011 at 22:59

I'm an 'oldie' and I wear walking breeches.

I did try trousers for a few years (after the kids came and inflated my waistline!!) I found most trousers left me with a load of fabric flapping around my lower legs getting wet/ muddy/and being a nuisance. Then I found some more breeches and love them. Finding long  walking socks to go with them is harder.

I find breeches have lots of advantages. If my lower legs get wet or muddy I only have to change my socks, -no hanging around with wet trouser legs. When I get too warm or the sun  comes out  I can roll the socks down and have instant ventilation.  If I'm scrambling I feel less hampered -more like wearing climbing tights. 

I get lots of curious looks, but I'm too 'mature' to care. Many previous generations wore breeches when out in rough country, and for good reasons. Walking in full length trousers is a fairly recent fashion.

Don't suppose I shall convert anybody else to wearing them tho'.

09/01/2011 at 23:38
I still have a pair of the original Rohan striders & I still wear them.
I love them.
10/01/2011 at 02:06
I'd go back to them if trousers were still like they used to be, but microfibre trousers get round most of the problems that breeches used to solve - they have very little weight to drag down and they dry quickly when wet.  I'll stick to breeches for overtrousers only now.
10/01/2011 at 12:00
Paul Lambell wrote (see)
I remember as a teenager in the 80s making my own from a pair of green army style trousers, cut of below the knee with velcro sewn on to fasten.

I much prefer breeches as I am a "warm" walker and like to roll my socks down for a bit of ventilation at times. Unfortunately my last pair of craghoppers wore out a long time ago despite being made of a tweed that would put many bullet proof vests to shame. I might be tempted to saw off a pair of old Kiwi trousers that I'm not particularly fond of though. They are air force blue/grey so teamed up with a pair of long red socks they should look suitably 80s retro. I need to find some of that rubber gripper strip!
10/01/2011 at 12:27
You can still get them - at a price
10/01/2011 at 12:33

Those are made from Ventile, no wonder the cost so much.

My favourite walking breeches also dated back to the 1980's. they were made by Karrimor and fashioned out of a 'stretch' type textile. They were fantastic and lasted me for many hundreds of miles. I think my waistline grew which is why I stopped wearing them

10/01/2011 at 15:46

I still have four pair breeches different materials.Walking socks aplenty

in Austria, they still prefer long stockings and breeches.Cheers

10/01/2011 at 17:04
I've never understood why breeches went out of fashion - trousers become filthy and wet  dragging in the mud and snow if you don't wear gaiters and are unnecessary below the knee if you do wear gaiters. I had finally to give up on my old Tiso breeches last year and bought a new pair in Norway - where they are still in common use - made of moleskin. Just come back from a skiing trip where I used them every day at temps down to below -20. Longjohns under them and gaiters outside. I was arm and toasty.
10/01/2011 at 18:01
It is my NY resolution to get myself a pair. I remember them being stretchy, they sound very comfortable. I might be taking my Explorer Scouts to Norway in the summer so will definately have a look. 
10/01/2011 at 19:58

Found these...

Moleskin Breeks

I may have to get a pair myself.

Edited: 10/01/2011 at 19:59
10/01/2011 at 20:38
By the way, moleskin is not really made from the skins of litle furry digging beasties. It is a form of woven cotton - wind, but not water tight.
1 to 20 of 43 messages