Dave & Edith Browns walking diary

1 to 20 of 690 messages
26/09/2007 at 20:49
I have been advised that rather than raising a new thread for each walk a better way is to "top up" or add to a main headed thread.
Therefore any future walks will be added to this thread.
Cheers,

Dave
27/09/2007 at 08:00

20th September 2007

Northern Fells.

This is our last walk from our recent stay at Wythop Mill. Leaving the car near Overwater we made our way up Longlands Fell before going off-path to make our way over to Brae Fell. For those that prefer walking on grass rather than rock the Fells back of Skiddaw are ideal.

More info and pics here:  http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

27/09/2007 at 16:12

Hi Dave

I'll add a link to your site from Trekking Britain tonight!

Have you considered using Google Adsense on your site to pull back some revenue to pay for your hosting costs and time and effort? I use adsense effectively on my site and no longer have to fork out the money for hosting each year as the income generated from Adsense now pays for it. I know some people think its making a site commercial but surely when you pay for hosting and people get lots of great free content then there is no harm in your getting something back for your efforts and to atleast over your costs.

It doesn't have to be rediculous sized images or popups, sign up and see how you could implement it into your site. Your site should get lots of hits eventually, especially as you've kept it simple and with proper text!

Jamie

27/09/2007 at 16:32

Jamie,

I have had a look at Google Adsense but at this time I don't really want to go down that road. My hosting costs me about £70.00 for 2 years wgich is unlimited so I'm happy to stand that.

I have had a number of enquires about putting a map on each walk with the route marked but having looked into that it would cost about £47.00 per year for a liscence from the OS which I thought was a bit steep.

Thanks for putting me on your links page , if you can e_mail me the gif for you homepage header I will put yours on mine.

Dave

27/09/2007 at 16:45

Will send it you later Dave.

I am now making enough money from the site to buy the license from OS which I plan on doing very soon, only because I use adsense though! Well worth looking into!

27/09/2007 at 17:52

Jamie,

Before you cough up the cash, take note: recent experiences by one webmaster and much further discussion have shown definitely that this 47.00 per year is a paper map copying license, and literally only that. It does not allow images captured from mapping software, and nor does any other generally available license.

I've summarised the current situation here

To go directly to the conclusion, look under 'State of play'.

Edited: 27/09/2007 at 17:55
28/09/2007 at 08:26

26th September 2007 Area: Arnside/Silverdale AONB Just a local walk today taking in the Leighton Moss area. A mixture of field paths, woodland paths and the causeway across Leighton Moss. Dave

http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Edited: 28/09/2007 at 08:27
29/09/2007 at 08:03

27th September 2007

Area: Lune Valley from Crook O'Lune

Another local walk today along the delightful Lune valley from the Crook O'Lune. Farm lanes, a short woodland section but mainly a watersedge path alongside the River Lune.

http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/ 

Edited: 29/09/2007 at 08:03
30/09/2007 at 20:07

30th September 2007

Arnside & Silverdale AONB

I didn't have too much time today so it was a quick dash up the road and just a 7.25 mile walk around the Silverdale area. A mixture of shoreline, woodland and field paths finished off with a short walk along a quiet lane.

Dave & Edith BRowns walking diary

02/10/2007 at 21:10

2nd October 2007

Lake District:  Far Eastern Fells

A bit of a tour about today trying to avoid the low cloud base while I got some pictures. Did 3 "Wainwrights" but all have been done many times before.

04/10/2007 at 17:49

4th October 2007

NW England

Just an easy walk today through a Levens Park and then following the track of a disused canal before returning on a riverside path.

04/10/2007 at 22:56

Hey Dave and Edith.. Crock O lune.. well I never.. we love that place.... don't get to go for great long walks like you did.. Odette can't manage that.. but what a wonderful spot for a picnic!

Keep up all the had work.. love the pics

Chris

05/10/2007 at 08:45
Thanks Chris,
The Crook O'Lune is only a 15 min drive for us so it's one of our "local" favourites.
I believe your away to Helvellyn today....if thats the case have a good one.
Soon be half-term , hoping to see those 3 young ladies on the fells again soon.
Regards,

Dave
06/10/2007 at 08:03

5th October 2007

South Lakeland:  Wainwrights Outlying Fells

We made the short trip around the bay today to Grange over Sands from where we made our way up the delightful Hampsfell. Although only a small fell it offers good views to all quarters plus if you like ducks then Grange is the place for you.

Dave

Dave & Edith Browns Walking diary

08/10/2007 at 11:21

7th October 2007

SE Lakeland:  Wainwrights Outlying Fells

School Knott which overlooks Windermere was our objective today but wanting a bit longer walk we decided to walk it from Ashes Lane near the Plumgarth roundabout and to use part of the Dales Way.

Distance:   12 miles        Ascent:    1705 feet     Time:   5h 30m

Dave

11/10/2007 at 09:08

10th October 2007

Lake District:   Eastern Fells

A perfect days walking today. We left the car at Patterdale and made our way up to the summit of Arnison Crag. After crossing over Trough Head we made our way onto Birks and from there along the ridge to St. Sunday Crag. After descending to the col at Deepdale Hause we took a slanting path down to Grisedale Tarn for our "butty stop". From there it was a relatively gentle descent down the Grisedale valley back to Patterdale.

Distance:   9 miles       Ascent:     2703 feet       Time:   6 hours

Dave

11/10/2007 at 09:32

Fantastic pictures as always.. nice to see the top of St Sun. close up.. I've only ever seen it from a distance as I did last week from Birkhouse... when ever I am on it, or due to be low cloud everywhere..

I do like how you two put yourselves in the photos, makes me feel a little better for doing so, I used to think I was the only one, all the other lakes site owners seem to be rather camera shy.. hehe.

Funds allowing we may be out Sunday.. not sure yet.. I got to get some of these western fells done.. hope to see you out some time.

11/10/2007 at 14:44

Thanks Chris for your comments. It was a great day out, one of the best this year and we've had a few despite the weather.

I've just uploaded the rest of the pictures to the website.

Dave

12/10/2007 at 17:53

12th October 2007

Arnside & Silverdale AONB

Just a short walk in our localish area today. A bit of a gray day but some of the Autumn colours still cam through.

Dist:    6.5 miles           Ascent:    801 feet          Time:   3h  15m

Dave

15/10/2007 at 13:50

We never got out over the weekend due to family commitments and a bit of a "tweaked" hamstring but we hope to do something this week, maybe tomorrow.

In the meantime it as given me a chance to do a bit of "tidying up" on the website and also to add some pictures of St. Bee's, Wasdale and Eskdale which I took earlier this year whils on holiday in the Lakes

Dave

Another set of pictures of a short walk to the Roman Fort at Hard Knott in Eskdale added

Edited: 15/10/2007 at 23:31
1 to 20 of 690 messages