Favourite wild camp spot

Where's your top wild camp?

1 to 20 of 69 messages
28/11/2011 at 20:46
Just wondering where everyone's favourite wild camp location is. I've done a few recently and it got me wondering where everyone else likes to head off to.

I know some people like to keep them a secret but mine has to be at the southern tip of Haweswater in the Lake District by the trees near to Riggindale. Amazing place to spend a night with a stunning view in the morning.
28/11/2011 at 21:14
Explorer wrote (see)
... some people like to keep them a secret ...

Most people do in my experience.

I think campers tend to guard the location of their own spots (especially if they seek solitude) rather than popularise them.  Places which are recommended or mentioned frequently can get as crowded as campsites - Styhead Tarn and Stickle Tarn are two very obvious examples.

28/11/2011 at 21:59
Exactly as bastard say's.....

BUT...Styhead Tarn and Stickle Tarn are the BEST; go to those spots; always.

28/11/2011 at 23:38

Mine's in the Mournes, I've 3 that I've never seen any one else use, apart from old walking buddy, ( can't do hills any more, due to leg injury).

Ones low, one mid high, others high.

I'm not telling where they are

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

28/11/2011 at 23:58
Mynydd Du, somewhere
29/11/2011 at 10:53
Jura out of midge season. If you know where it is, you know. If you don't I'm not saying.
29/11/2011 at 21:11

I've a soft spot for a couple of spots overlooking Grasmere. Ones an easy walk from the town pre\post going out on a bigger wildcamp circuit replacing the Grasmere YHA overnight I used to use.

The other is a longer stretch of the legs, but worth it for a more rugged & remote location for a bit of R&R, with a nice kick off for Sgt Man early in the morning.

But really any remote tarn with a long range view does it for me - there are just so many favourites I've just not got around to trying yet.

But turning the topic on its head, Styhead Tarn has to be one of my most UNfavourites - like Clapham Junction the only time I stopped there  

29/11/2011 at 21:18
There's a particularly bleak spot where I've wanted to wild camp for as long as I can remember. Still haven't managed it as the weather has never been good enough. I'm not going to say where it is, coz I want it all for myself!
29/11/2011 at 22:14
Of course, the other problem with popular spots is the rubbish that everyone leaves behind! At my (no longer secret) near Haweswater, there was a grill from a disposable BBQ and a whole bin bag, partly burried in the soil.
Edited: 29/11/2011 at 22:16
29/11/2011 at 23:07
intentionally vague----half way up loch shiel----thank you peter clinch
29/11/2011 at 23:14
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)
There's a particularly bleak spot where I've wanted to wild camp for as long as I can remember. Still haven't managed it as the weather has never been good enough. I'm not going to say where it is, coz I want it all for myself!

Notes to self - get Paddy to drink a few pints after the Winter Hill walk and broach the subject 
29/11/2011 at 23:28

Too many to have an out-and-out favourite... but there's a cracking spot I've used a couple of times, by a cascade half way up the Arratille valley in the Pyrenees

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/16051/gallery/21_Arratile_wild_camp_cascade.JPG

29/11/2011 at 23:58
Nice one Matt!  That's an area where you really are spoilt for choice even if you do need ear-defenders in the storms!
30/11/2011 at 06:09
cathyjc wrote (see)
Jura out of midge season. If you know where it is, you know. If you don't I'm not saying.

Just off the west coast isn't it? Near Islay?

30/11/2011 at 08:23
Moonlight Shadow wrote (see)
Notes to self - get Paddy to drink a few pints after the Winter Hill walk and broach the subject 

Good luck with that... I don't drink!

30/11/2011 at 09:49
Mmmh! Kinley, Might be.
30/11/2011 at 09:52
I had a nice camp at Red Tarn below Striding Edge this summer. There were a few other tents there but there was enough space that we were not on top of eachother. Door turned the other way makes it seem like you have it to yourself. Wake up next to the tarn with Helvellyn just behind and a nice view the other way too. Not a secret spot but I thoroughly enjoyed it!
30/11/2011 at 10:00
...and if you wander through the boulders at the back of the Tarn there are often decorous plastic bags full of empty tin cans amidst them
30/11/2011 at 10:11

Seriously? What a shame... Still, I enjoyed it and I didnt see any rubbish lying around.

Mind you I was walking on the coast in Cornwall when I came across half a dozen empty cans and a pack of muffins... people are really having a laugh!

30/11/2011 at 17:43

I've never actually pitched in the same place twice so far - there's always space for a Nallo.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/4089885255_52999bafdf_o.jpg

1 to 20 of 69 messages