Glencoe: best time to visit?

15 messages
21/02/2012 at 21:13

I'm thinking of doing an HF holiday at their place in Glencoe; hope to be doing the harder walks up Munros and Corbetts. Any views on best time for this? I'm thinking of May/June when according to Met Office data rainfall is lowest. (I should add that I've never walked in Scotland.) The Cairngorms are drier, but Glencoe is more appealing initially.

Thanks

David

21/02/2012 at 22:02
Yes, in theory April, May & June are the driest but that is just a statistic. Last year the weather was completely back to front. We had the wettest weather when it should have been driest and had relatively drier periods when it is usually wetter (August!!).
More reliably there is less of a midge problem April, May and early June. September can be a good time with periods of good weather.
If you have the choice avoid the holiday months of July and August when the schools and European visitors can crowd places.
Edited: 21/02/2012 at 22:04
21/02/2012 at 22:03

May is usually a reasonable month weather wise and it is pre midge season, although depending on the conditions they do become a bit of a nuisance from the end of that month through to September.

Slainte

Lindsay

21/02/2012 at 23:32

April by a mile.

You have to have snow on them hills!

22/02/2012 at 04:39
what nick says.

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

22/02/2012 at 07:33
Just completely avoid it any time I might be there) I think I have had one decent spell of good weather in more than 10 summer visits. However, I am usually much luckier in Winter.
22/02/2012 at 09:02
yeah go for glencoe for your first scotish walk. avoiding the midgies is a good tip but more so if you are camping. april-may or september can be best. post walk drinks in the clachaig is a must.
22/02/2012 at 09:06

Hmmm, I've been wondering about the midges too. A group of us are planning to camp in the Fort Bill area during the first week of June (we can't go earlier in the year due to work diaries).

Have the little bastards got into their stride by then?

How high do midges go? I mean, are there fewer of 'em the higher up the hills you get? We'll be doing a fair bit of walking (including Ben Nevis) and don't fancy the prospect of being eaten alive all day.

Any anti-midge tips? Apart from staying south of the border, of course ...

22/02/2012 at 09:14
It seems to me Skip, that if its mild and warm during May it brings the little blighters on, but if there is frost during April for a few days it seems to "check" them a bit and they have to start again. I know when I am digging my peat you want to have it dug and lying on the ground by the start of June if you can, midgies will be out but its only the females that bite and the males are first on the scene, so they could be flying by the end of May but not bite, as I said it can be slightly different every year < but they seem to appear and be around by the 2nd week in June >
22/02/2012 at 10:00
That bastard Skip wrote (see)

How high do midges go? I mean, are there fewer of 'em the higher up the hills you get? We'll be doing a fair bit of walking (including Ben Nevis) and don't fancy the prospect of being eaten alive all day.

Any anti-midge tips? Apart from staying south of the border, of course ...

Midges go pretty high but they cannot cope with wind so they are less likely up high. Tips take a midge head net in the midge season and skin cover. If it is at all calm, camp high and exposed
They are worse when you stop so stop high and exposed.
22/02/2012 at 10:30

I've been midged climbing a route on the Inn Pinn!  But as Derek says it's wind that'll do for them and there's more of that in exposed places like mountain tops.

Staying south of the border?  I've been midged pretty effectively in the Yorkshire Dales...

I'd go with the back end of April/early May as my favoured window, though as has been said it might be behaving very badly at any time.

Pete.

22/02/2012 at 10:47

I am usually in Scotland over easter and doing some hills, the last 5 years have included:

South Cluanie Ridge - Gale force winds driving snow and sleat
North Cluanie Ridge (5 Sisters) - Spring snow, glorious sunshine
Cuillin -  no snow,blazing sunshine, mild sunstroke
Carn Gorm - Spring snow, driving rain, high winds, sunshine (all on the same day)
Grey Corries, CMD, Ben Nevis - overcast, cold but dry

What everybody else says about midges.

Steve D

Not all those who wander are lost.

22/02/2012 at 16:05
TIP:-
I've had bad midges on the summit (3000' + no wind) and no midges lower down at the col (good breeze) on the same hill. Sometimes the updraft at a col can be 'better' than actually on the summit/ridge.
22/02/2012 at 16:26

Thanks everyone - think I'll go for early May and take some of that  Avon cream with me.

Regards

David

22/02/2012 at 17:14
David Jones 27 wrote (see)

Thanks everyone - think I'll go for early May and take some of that  Avon cream with me.

Regards

David

And but the best head net you can,like others have said...

Most of all try not to worry about them too much and enjoy

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

Your say
email image
15 messages