Great Langdale - name this little crag

Any climbers familiar with the fellside behind the LDG?

7 messages
09/11/2011 at 09:57

I was pottering about on the fellside north-northeast of the New Dungeon Ghill Hotel yesterday. As I passed a crag, there was a large-ish group of lads (squaddies I suspect) in climbing gear being instructed. On previous visits, I have frequently seen climbers on this particular crag and as it is obviously a very popular climbing spot I am curious as to whether it has a name?

It lies approx 125 metres due north of Millbeck Farm buildings just beside the intake wall with a near-vertical climbing face on the south side (facing the road). There is a small un-named gill in a shallow ravine about fifty metres to the east.

As I say, just curious ... it's handy to be able to put a name to features.

Edit: In the thread title "LDG" should be "NDG" of course

Edited: 09/11/2011 at 09:58
edh
09/11/2011 at 11:06
Sounds like Lower Scout Crag - it's shiny!
edh
09/11/2011 at 18:12

Thanks Ed.

I found a photo that may help (full-size at link.this link )

I've marked a copy (berlow) and and uploaded it. On the upload I have drawn a ring round the crag where I saw the climbers. It's on the west side of the little gill which itself is west of the stand of conifers.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z337/scepticalbastard/LangdaleCrags.jpg

I'm not sure if it's correct but I've been told that Scout Crag is the one east of White Gill (where I have marked position '1') and that and Whitegill Crag is the large one at the top of the ravine (where I've marked the '3').

From the OS 25K map it appears that the crag at '2' is called Swine knott?

(BTW, the area between the two gills (and the little ravine above and to the left of the trees) is where I spent a very contented hour or so scrabbling about on Tuesday morning.)

edh
09/11/2011 at 18:19
Looks very much like it; heavily used for groups and abseiling - never climbed on it myself but done lots on Raven Crag and further up (and up) the valley at Gimmer.
edh
09/11/2011 at 19:25
Just had a look at Wainwright. He agrees with your naming for 1 and 3 but calls 2 Swine Crag rather than Swine Knott. There's no naming on the area you're after though.
09/11/2011 at 19:36

Thanks Ed and John - much appreciated.

As I said,  it was just curiosity - no matter what the individual crags are called that little stretch of fellside is a great spot for just enjoying oneself whether fellwalking, gill-scrambling, craghopping, climbing or just ambling about the slopeslooking at stuff.

Ed, when camping at Gt Langdale I usually sit outside the tent after dusk having a last ciggie before bed and often see little dots of light from headtorches up there on Gimmer - ocassionally I can faintly hear voices calling 'climb on'

10/11/2011 at 10:58
Yeah, looks like Lower Scout Crag. I've done a little climbing there, it's a bit unremarkable but there's a lovely 2-3 pitch route on Upper Scout I found to be quite enjoyable!

Langdale is certainly one of my favorite valleys in the Lakes for pottering around in on a warm lazy day. There's a wealth of easily accessible climbing, scrambling and walking to suit all tastes.

Roll on next summer!
Your say
email image
7 messages