Help requested for book that I'm writing

The 5th edition of 'The Walker's Handbook'

1 to 20 of 147 messages
06/09/2010 at 10:55
For far too long I've been preparing the the fifth edition of my book The Walker's Handbook originally published by Penguin in 1978 and now long out of and out of date and out of print. The new edition is intended to cover comprehensively all aspects and levels of walking and backpacking in both lowland and upland areas up to and including scrambling. If I can't find a publisher with whom I can work then I shall publish it as an e-book.

I've learnt a great deal by following the posts on this forum and am wondering whether it would be possible, and permissible under Outdoors Magic rules, to invite anyone who may be interested to download a chapter from my website and check it for errors of fact, spelling, syntax, ambiguities and omissions. Every paragraph will be numbered so critics will be able to copy and paste the section of text on which they wish to comment, either on this thread for general discussion, or privately by email. An acknowledgement to this forum will appear in the book, and any individual who has been particularly helpful will be named.

Needless to say that, although I welcome constructive criticism and comment, the author's decision will be final!

If anyone has a better idea for inviting criticism, I should be grateful to hear from them.

If this post gets a sufficiently supportive response then I propose to publish the chapter dealing with maps on my website within the next two weeks. An announcement will appear on this thread.
06/09/2010 at 20:30

I thought I knew your name from somewhere!!!!!!!!

The first book on the outdoors I ever bought.

I still have my copy. Very battered but still can be read.

I'd be happy to help if I could, (spellings not great, but I can always check on 'net, etc).

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

06/09/2010 at 21:03
I have done a lot of proof reading in the past and still do in the present and happy to give feedback by email.
06/09/2010 at 21:26
Go for it Hugh!
06/09/2010 at 21:46
I'd be interested to have a look at some or all of the book. I've done a bit of editing and proof reading, so might be able to spot the odd thing.
07/09/2010 at 09:07
I'd be happy to do a bit of reading.
07/09/2010 at 11:28

Count me in.

07/09/2010 at 14:53
At the risk of making things over-complicated, why don't you put the chapter in a wiki. People can then comment/see others comments. They can also edit the text, but if you don't like their edits, you can simply revert to a previous version.

Ian.
Edited: 07/09/2010 at 14:53
08/09/2010 at 05:55
Thanks for all the helpful responses on this thread, and also for the private offers of assistance I've received.

I'm off on a backpacking trip to the Peak District today and will put a chapter on my website on my return.

Ian suggests that I publish each chapter as a wicki but I don't think that will suit my purpose because the text could be altered many times and become confusing. There's also the risk of malicious interference.

Hugh
19/09/2010 at 07:20

Hugh, been away myself but if you're still looking for volunteers to help then you can count me in.

Simon.

If only there were more days in the week so I could spend more time out there.

19/09/2010 at 08:33
I'm also willing to help.
19/09/2010 at 14:56
I have already acknowledged the kind offers of help from several OMers and I now have the pleasure of thanking Paddy, Robin and Simon as well.

The Contents List, Introduction and the whole of Chapter 3 are now available for downloading in Word format from http://walkwithwestacott.com/?The_Walker%27s_Handbook.

I should be most grateful for comments, queries, corrections to errors of fact, typos and grammar, in fact anything that would improve the text and make the book more useful.

it would be helpful if those commenting or correcting would either refer to the paragraph number, or copy and paste it with corrections in colour.

Thanks in anticipation

Hugh
19/09/2010 at 22:57

I've informed Hugh of what I've noticed so far. I hope all you others who offered to help are going to/have done likewise.

A book like this is needed for those starting out on our 'past time', so they can learn the skills we know, and sometimes had to learn "the hard way".

If you can, spare the time to read what Hugh's put out so far, make comments, corrections,etc. as he requested.

Paul.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

20/09/2010 at 15:03
Going to try to read it this week!
23/10/2010 at 20:06
I've had a gratifying and helpful response to my request for help in writing the Walker's Handbook and have now removed Chapter 3 from my website.

Chapter 4 Map reading and basic navigation techniques
Chapter 5 Advanced navigational techniques
Chapter 6 the Global Positioning System

Can now be downloaded from
http://walkwithwestacott.com/?The_Walker%27s_Handbook

The large gaps in the text is where illustrations will appear.

Once again I should be most grateful for comments and suggestions together with corrections to facts and typos.

I'm particularly in need of help for the chapter on the Global Positioning System because my practical experience of using GPS receivers is very limited (my children complain that I'm a technophobe).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hugh
23/10/2010 at 21:45

Hugh, could you e-mail them to me? Can't get 'clicky' thing to work!

Not be able to help with GPS chapter, I'm a Techno-phobe too.....

24/10/2010 at 17:16
How well I have demonstrated what a helpless technophobe I am!

Apologies to all those who have tried to download chapters 4-6 of the Walker's Handbook from my website

http://walkwithwestacott.com/?The_Walker%27s_Handbook

I was advised to save the files as Word 6 documents but I discovered that, inexplicably, every one had been saved as Microsoft 95 files. I tried again, with the same result, so I have saved them as PDF files. My wife assures me that she has downloaded them successfully onto her PC (I'm a dirty Macintosh man).

If any of you can spare the time to read, correct, comment, suggest omissions etc, I should be most grateful. I'm particularly anxious to get Chapter 6 the Global Positioning System thoroughly checked by experts. Please refer to the appropriate paragraph number when you reply.

Many thanks!

Hugh

Edited: 24/10/2010 at 17:19
24/10/2010 at 17:21

Hugh, I've read the latest three chapters and used track changes in Word. There's only a handful of corrections. Can you PM me with an email to send to.

24/10/2010 at 17:43
The link to my website is here
24/10/2010 at 20:58
Sent you an email, Hugh.
1 to 20 of 147 messages