Lakes wildcamp spot needed

a 'gentle' one

10 messages
13/08/2010 at 11:33
I'm going up to the Lakes for a few nights in a B&B. My wife has agreed to try a nights wildcamping at some point, as we're up there already she's game for trying it there so I'm hoping to camp somewhere on Sunday night.

I haven't got the maps yet so before I pour over them does anyone have any suitable locations?

I need the following:
1 - Good safe parking, as far as possible
2 - Good views whilst still being protected(ish), i.e don't want to camp on a peak
3 - Remote so not going to meet people wandering past us
4 - Near to Keswick, not necessarily on the doorstep though, as we’re staying there the remaining nights
5 - Near to water so I can purify and use for dinner and breakfast
6 - Ideally overlooking somewhere picturesque, like Derwent water

Not asking much am I? It basically needs to be in a location that means all aspects are as good as possible. Then she might be keen to do it again! We’ll be sleeping with the dog so along with the wind we’ll have already have a fairly big variable! Item 4 is not as important is that’s the deal breaker

Thanks in advance for your help, private message replies might be better/safer. GPS cords or grid refs are grand. I’m excited!

13/08/2010 at 11:36
Oh yeah, and just to make it more difficult, it can't be more than about 3 hours from the car as we'll need to drive up from down South first, then park up and walk
13/08/2010 at 12:08
message sent - i think i have ticked all your boxes...
13/08/2010 at 12:42
Park in Keswick, and walk out round back of Skidaw. Find a pitch that YOU like the look of. If you use other peoples idas then some one will have certainly camped there before. Mapsalways tell the story.
13/08/2010 at 12:48

i usually agree with you, dazz.  except...

if someone doesn't know the area that well, and has limited time to get to a spot, it helps to have some advice as to whether it is going to be crowded, if there are flat spaces, whether there's water, etc etc. 

if someone is new to wildcamping, the idea of just setting off in a northerly direction and hoping can sound very offputting! there's time for benp1's mrs to be more laisser faire about spotting pitches when she's tried it once or twice.

13/08/2010 at 19:29
Posh Totty, thanks so much for your message and your posts, they're incredibly helpful. Looks like we've got a great place lined up!

Dazz, I agree with what your saying, and that's what I usually do. We pick a good looking spot on the map but then generally play it by ear. But as Posh Totty says, as its our first time together (either on my own or with mates) I want this to be a great experience all round so that she's keen to do more! If the weather turns it'll be nice to say 'don't worry, I know exactly where we're going'!

Thanks again!
13/08/2010 at 20:46
dont listen to anything posh totty tells you, she has a drink problem!! last time i met her she drank the bar dry!!!
13/08/2010 at 22:08

actually.

you can ignore that.  he's just sulking because he can't hold his drink.

13/08/2010 at 23:11
lmao@ posh. of course you can ignore me ben. she is a very nice person and posh too.
14/08/2010 at 11:59
Your say
email image
10 messages