Midges in Northumberland

6 messages
20/04/2012 at 20:32
Im planning on doing a multi day trip around the General Kielder area making use of some of the forestry commission wild camp sites or the bothies that's out there, I'm wondering when the midges generally start to rise.

I have a particular aversion to the one around Kielder and come up like Worf from Star Trek, I f I go north into Scotland I'm ok ish, south to north yorks or west to the lakes I'm fine it's just around Kielder the little ba""""""ds have my life

I hope the unseasonably warm March followed by the current clod snap have thinned them out a bit or is this a forlorn hope ?
edh
21/04/2012 at 07:45
It's a bit early for them at the moment IME; but you might be 'lucky' - Kielder has always been pretty foul though...
edh
21/04/2012 at 08:01

I was in Kielder this January, when it was bitterly cold, so no midge problem at that time. However, on the bus-ride to Bellingham, the driver spoke at some length about how bad the midges could be in the summer.

Mind you, I'd be more worried about getting involved in a game of football in that area.

According to local lore, the first 'international' game of football was held in the area, following the cancellation of a grouse shoot, between the retainers from the estates of the Duke of Northumberland (England) and Duke of Buccleuch (Scotland), around 1790. The final score was England 2 - Scotland 0. There were eight players killed during the game and several more died afterwards as a result of their injuries. 

21/04/2012 at 08:11
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)

IThere were eight players killed during the game and several more died afterwards as a result of their injuries. 

Sounds more like a Millwall home fixture

21/04/2012 at 09:00
That bastard Skip wrote (see)
Sounds more like a Millwall home fixture

Maybe...

Except that Millwall probably didn't organise high-jumping and long-jumping at half-time, which for some bizarre reason, these guys did!

21/04/2012 at 10:43
Mmmm if I go during the midge season I get eaten or if I go during the football season I could end up dead
Your say
email image
6 messages