Routes for beginner backpackers in Derbyshire?

6 messages
22/12/2011 at 21:32

Hi all,

I have a couple of friends who live just inside Derbyshire would like to try out a bit of backpacking in the spring. What we were thinking of doing was a simple circle route, ideally parking up at one campsite early on the first day (no probs paying a fee for parking if necessary) and walking to a second campsite for the first night, then walking back to the first campsite preferably by a different route and probably stop there overnight and then go home. We'd be looking to do roughly 10 miles in each direction, keeping it fairly relaxed for the guys who aren't used to carrying the extra weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas or maybe even routes which would be worth looking at on the OS map?

Thanks.

22/12/2011 at 22:38
You're spoilt for choice in the White Peak - Derbyshire Dales.   Take a look at the OS maps & campsites - a good ref - UKcampsite website
23/12/2011 at 13:46
Fair enough - not being that near Derbyshire myself I don't have a map but can go grab one from the library. Thanks for the link.
23/12/2011 at 14:30

> not being that near Derbyshire myself I don't have a map

Plenty of online mapping:

OS GetAMap

Streetmap

Bing Multimap

Google Maps

WheresThePath for route planning

24/12/2011 at 00:20
For walks in the White Peak area of the Peak District all your need is the 1 : 25000 (Two and a half inches to the Mile) OS Outdoor Leasure Map - OL24.  Its not one of the best selling OS Maps for nothing.  Includes tourist info including camp sites.
24/12/2011 at 14:51

Around Edale/Hope is good

There are a few campsites in the area, decent walking, good pubs with reasonable food.

I stayed at Fieldhead Campsite in Edale and Hardhurst Farm in Hope and found them fine (you may need earplugs for the trains as the Hope Valley line has become increasingly busy but don't let that put you off)

Both listed in UK Campsite

Will give you a chance to see Kinder and some other nice ridge walks with fine views

Coopers Cafe in Edale is good for food every day of the week

Your say
email image
6 messages