Sheep on Bleaklow or Black mountains

Help needed - planning to go this weekend

8 messages
26/05/2011 at 10:27
I'm planning a trip to the peak district (around bleaklow) or brecons (black mountains - waun fach area)

The main decision to choose between them will be the weather. Assuming its fairly equal, which it is, the second will ideally be if there are sheep in those two areas. I'm taking the dog and I'd rather have him off the lead. If there's sheep about then he's on the lead so if I can go to an area where there aren't any sheep that would be good!

Has anyone been up there recently or does anyone know?

26/05/2011 at 12:28
Please don't let your dog off the lead on moorland where there is likely to be nesting birds.
26/05/2011 at 15:28
OK, thanks chaps. Read somewhere that bleaklow had been fenced off from sheep but must have been mistaken
26/05/2011 at 17:55

I lost a pair of Leki Makalu trekking poles in the northern Rhinogs over the Easter week-end. Can give full description and probable location where left if anyone has found them.

Thanks

29/05/2011 at 11:12
More sheep than people over most of Peak District - same goes for West Wales, Yorkshire Dales, Cheviots etc.  Think -  all those lamb chops and woolly jumpers
29/05/2011 at 11:24

Bleaklow is grim, although it's one of my favourite places, have a good look at Yellowslacks and Doctors gate for a route as well as the obvious Shelf stones, Wain Stones and B29  super fortress wreck.Also have alook at going of to Grinnah/Barrow stones they are worth a look

Re, animals you just never know, my mates dog dominated a baby hare once.It was a fairly one sided affair that lasted a good two seconds.

29/05/2011 at 11:42

lots of sheep around the black mountains at the moment...just got back from an overnighter there this morning

30/05/2011 at 13:58
Parts of Bleaklow and Kinder Scout have been fenced off from sheep to help with the reseeding which has been going on. But only parts.
Your say
email image
8 messages