Shsssh, don't tell the kids.

Honister via ferrata charges.

6 messages
03/05/2012 at 19:06

Just spotted this on lfto.

£135 for a couple of hours "entertainment" on the now approved extended via ferrata.

Good luck with that. 

Edit: forgot linky.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

Edited: 03/05/2012 at 19:07
03/05/2012 at 19:36
when I was talking to her about a month ago she said it won't be officially open until June so best to wait until then if your thinking of having a go anybody.
Also I don't think it's a bad price for what you can turn into a full day out if throwing in a walk on the fells as well,we recently priced up for a family of four
Blackpool pleasure beach £105
light water valley £120
Alton Towers £140
etc etc so not too bad IMO for a thrilling day out.
We all wanted to do it but my youngest is only 8 so not yet old enough :0(

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

03/05/2012 at 19:37

From Grough:

"It says it has more exposure, vertical climbs, rope bridges and cliff-edge ladders. The route will cost adults £39.50 per visit"

Yeah? Forty quid? Right.

I go to the Lake District to enjoy its largely unspoilt scenery, to walk (and scramble) on the high fells away from the most crowded paths and summits. If I want tourist attractions (and the tourists they attract) then Blackpool is only an hour or two's drive.

I understand the argument that 'attractions' like the via ferrata could boost the local economy  but I don't necessarily subscribe to it. I think many - probably most - visitors to the Lakes either seek out the solitude of the fells by themselves or prefer to stay lower down enjoingy the valleys and the lakes. I cannot see that the comparitively small numbers drawn in by this 'attraction' will make any significant contribution to the economy of the Lakes per se although they will definitely contribute to Honister's profits.

03/05/2012 at 19:40

@ Dids

If you do go I'd be very interested to hear if it lives up to its billing and whether you think it offers value for money.

(BTW  I'm planning to have a crack at Farleton Hill [the one at J36] next week)

03/05/2012 at 20:20
I wanted to try it Skip to see how the wife faired with real exposure as i want to get her on a guided traverse of the Cuillins ridge one day,the kids would have just been a bonus but like i say my lad is too young ,tho im still want wifey to try...
And i think your going to beat me to farleton hill as im down Portsmouth next weekend

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

03/05/2012 at 20:41

Well, let us know if the via lives up to expectations and how your good lady enjoys it. Part of me says I should reserve my criticism until I've actulally tried it for myself - but then another, tighter, part kicks in and says: "Forty quid? No way!"

I'll do a TR for the Farleton walk.

Your say
email image
6 messages