Tryfan summit camping r we crazy?

1 to 20 of 27 messages
17/11/2008 at 14:57

Hi All

I haven't had any time to investigate this this as it was only suggesteed to me today but can anyone confirm if there is any safe-ish routes and suitable pitching areas to wild camp somwhere on Tryfan. Obviously Depends on the weather at the time and also between now and then presuming there is not too much snow whether this would be ok without winter equipment, ie crampons and axes etc. We all have experience of mountain walking and low grade scrambling but I don't think any of us have done a winter trip before. I have camped in snow a few times so am prepared for how low the temps might go.  I'm gonna look into it more ie study the map etc but thought you guys would be the best people to ask? Do you think we are biting off more than we can chew by attempting this without crampons etc. Obviously depends on the conditions at the time plus the amount of snowfall between now and then. We are thinking of going on 28th of this month.  

17/11/2008 at 15:26
Just check out the os map. Also a route from the trail magazine which is only 2 miles from start to finish, hardly seems worth camping on route unless we extend it. Also seems pretty steep, might be too slippery if its icy and difficult to follow the path if theres more than half inch of snow. Might put it on the back burner for now and look for somewhere else. Any suggestions?
17/11/2008 at 15:40
Tryfan is very steep, very rocky and very exposed compared to most other peaks you could think of in that area. I've never really looked at the mountain in terms of a wild camp, but my initial thoughts are that you'd be lucky to find a flat and sheltered pitch anywhere on the higher parts. Drop down to a bwlch, or even further down into a cwm, and you stand a better chance. Then again, I've always been surprised to find tent-sized pitches in even the most extreme locations, so don't let me put you off!
17/11/2008 at 15:42

tryfans a big slabby pile of rock, a beautiful big pile of slabby rock i may add. In winter it gets quite greasy in rain and if its cold enough covered in ice, and then there snow covering the ice quite often. i wouldnt reccomend you climbing tryfan for the 1st time  via the north ridge unless you had experience on this type of terrain. in the summer its a much easier proposition.

you could of course approach from it the other end where there is only a couple tricky bits  and camp below at one of the lakes perhaps. If you wanted to camp on top you'll need  a drill to get the pegs in as its all rock!

17/11/2008 at 15:49

I think you'd struggle to find any grass to pitch on, although it is 17 years since I last went up Tryfan. I seem to remember a flatish section of rocks near the summit where people were resting. You might possibly pitch a geodesic type tent here somehow.

I've camped at Llyn y Cwn in the past. It's in the bwlch between the Glyders and Y Garn. You could go over Tryfan and the Glyders before descending to Llyn y Cwn. This way you'd get a bit of walking in to tire you out a bit before you camp. Check out if the descent from the Glyders is still safe as I seem to remember it was a bit loose and scary back in 1991.

17/11/2008 at 16:34
Tryfan summit is very uneven and you wont get pegs in. Your best chance of being one of the few to camp on the summit comfortably, is a still period after heavy snow. Whether you can get there safely in those conditions I leave to you.
17/11/2008 at 16:50
Bivvying might be more feasible
17/11/2008 at 18:12

You could get a tent up around three-quarters of the way up the North-ridge where the scramble flattens out....how comfortable that might be I know not

Showell Styles recounts camping near the summit in one of his tales; but then he was dead hard.
17/11/2008 at 18:18

Have a look at this....

Tryfan Wildcamp

Nothing to do with me!

17/11/2008 at 18:20

Showell Styles was amazing. I went to Malta a few years ago to write a walking guide, and found that Showell Styles had done more than that, writing a walking and climbing guide to the island back in the 1940s!

Wallace wrote (see)

Have a look at this....

Tryfan Wildcamp

Nothing to do with me!

Wow! Pictures 7 and 8 in that sequence! Not for the MILD camper!

Edited: 17/11/2008 at 18:23
17/11/2008 at 18:37
Back in the 1940s? What was he doing? Dodging the bombs?!!
17/11/2008 at 18:43
I got the Tryfan thing from his 'Welsh 3000s' article Paddy - where he camped on every summit or planned to be within a 'biscuits toss' of them.... his Crib Goch pitch was particularly interesting
17/11/2008 at 18:44
Exactly that Kate... Showell Styles walked and climbed right through the war years... and was in the forces when he was stationed on Malta.
17/11/2008 at 19:02

Ed - throw me a link to the Crib Goch pitch - I can't find it.

I once bivvied (no sleeping bag - just lying on a cagoule) beside the Westmorland Cairn on Great Gable, trying to remind myself not to roll over as I fell asleep, otherwise I'd wake up in Wasdale Head!

17/11/2008 at 19:06
I don't have a link Paddy - just his account in Backpacking in Wales; I can scan the relevant pages if you want them - but that will have to be a bit later?
17/11/2008 at 19:23
It's OK Ed... don't put yourself out. In any case, my imagination will provide an entertaining vision of what a Crib Goch wild camp might look like!
17/11/2008 at 19:46

Right.... after sorting myself out regarding uploading images I find everyones posted everything I wanted to!

However - fair play Sam, awsome effort if you pull it off. Camping on the true summit is really only possible if you have a heavy drop of snow which ices over as it is just jumbles of rocks and no flat bits. The east side has small ledges, like the photo's suggest.

Not really much proper snow this time of year, just wet, greasy and possibly icy. Snow generally comes in March, but nothings predictable nowadays.

Can I suggest the "football pitch" on the Y Gribin ridge nearby. Nice views, airy pitch but pretty flat and grassy!

http://s4.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/24053/gallery/y_gribin_ridge.jpg?width=350&height=263&mode=max

Edited: 17/11/2008 at 20:13
17/11/2008 at 19:56

This is the bit on the Nth ridge I was thinking about....

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/20385/Gallery/nthrdg.jpg

17/11/2008 at 20:11

Not easy but as long as your tent will take some serious wind its doable on the North Ridge.

On the summit you would have to some how pitch on rock , if you can find one big and flat enough that is.

18/11/2008 at 10:43

In reasonable weather you could try somewhere near SH669583.

The Carnedds offer far better camping. And it's a lot quieter too!

1 to 20 of 27 messages