Ullscarf to High Tove

14 messages
06/09/2013 at 09:14

Quick question......

Worth doing this weekend after todays weather?

Check out the blog here......

06/09/2013 at 09:32

I love walking that route, but parts of it can be extremely boggy, especially the section between Armboth Fell and High Tove, which is a like a gigantic sponge.   So I tend to avoid it, unless it's drought conditions or frozen.  

It's raining here in the Northern Lakes at the moment, and there's a lot more rain forecast, so conditions under foot are going to a bit damp.   Combine that with the prediction from the Met Office Forecast for the Lakes saying that there's going to be persistent hill fog at 400m, I'd personally give that area a wide berth this coming weekend.

06/09/2013 at 09:35

With the weekend forecast looking likely to put clouds over the tops? (def Satuday it seems.). I really don't know, because its a walk you do for the, exceedingly good!, views. There isn't much to see close up.I don't think I would. The gills round Thirlmere - especially Launchy and Fisherplace - should be very good places to stare at waterfalls right now or various valley/pass walks that would be quite nice in this sort of weather.

Bog wise I can't remember anything much up to Blea tarn, but there is some point past there that might be a bit amusing.  I can't remember precisely where. (It seems like Lorraine knows ). Well you might slip about a bit before then too.

Edited: 06/09/2013 at 09:41
06/09/2013 at 20:56

I done that route High Seat down to UllScarf in wet conditions (but not as bad as today). I wouldnt go back unless it was frozen. I found it very boggy with large sections of marsh which are a pain to navigate through. One of the worst trips i've done in the Lakes.

06/09/2013 at 22:06

If you think that's mega boggy you really do need to try some of the places in the Pennines

orb
06/09/2013 at 23:43

I overnighted along there last year Dave .As El Mañana said it  is really boggy struggled to find somewhere decent to pitch but found the only small decent spot near a rocky lump around Middle crag ,wouldn't want to do it again.

orb
08/09/2013 at 15:13

Last time we did it, we were more or less swimming through it and that was after a comparitively dry few weeks. The time before was the middle of winter when the ground was frozen solid and it was fine. Not recommended at this time of year unless on the back of a drought.

08/09/2013 at 20:32

Isn't there just a specific problem with part of Armbroth fell?

I've done those fells twice. Once was in a lovely October day when I did Dungeon Gyhll to Keswick over the whole lot. Just lovely really. One of the bits past blea tarn seemed a bit wet I suppose. Much more fun than a Fairfield/Helvellyn route I did around then as so much quieter.

The second time was in a very wet November. Derwent water was flooded, snow melt everywhere etc. I turned down Watendlath that time, but I don't remember anything remotely boggy up till that point (going up past sour milk gill to High Raise then onwards.). Very slippy at times, but the weather was that way.

I didn't do the worst bit then though. Still, it really doesn't rate on my scale of places to only visit when dry. I do have some of those   It is certainly on my list of places not to visit if you're not going to get views.

09/09/2013 at 08:02

Cant remember TBH Martin, it was wet when i went there, we pitched on High Seat struggling to find a decent spot. The next day there was a section from High Seat to High Tove that had some deep marsh and the High Tove, Armboth Fell to Blea Tarn was quite boggy. My mate felt the same, thought it was one of the wettest places on the fells probably not as bad as Mosedale area, maybe we were just unlucky

09/09/2013 at 09:22

Oh, it probably is one of the wettest places in the Lakes, but compared to some of the rest of the country.....

I like Mosedale too actually, although more for the results when it drops into Swindale.

Edited: 09/09/2013 at 09:22
orb
09/09/2013 at 09:38

This threadhas got me thinking about the book 'One Man and His  Bog' a humorous account By Barry Pilton of walking the Pennines Way.Must find it and read it again.

orb
09/09/2013 at 13:56

I have personal experience of how boggy it is between High Tove and High Seat. It was winter and I thought the bog would be frozen - sank thigh deep on both legs.  No fun at all.

Not as bad before you get that far (just a bit boggy around Armboth) in my experience. 

10/09/2013 at 22:19

Cool, thanks folks. I avoided it in the end and went to Easedale instead. One to save for the the winter I think

Check out the blog here......

11/09/2013 at 09:31

Winter is a bit dangerous for bogs unless you get a very cold, dry one. Especially at this sort of relatively modest altitude.

A nice dry spell in Spring - Autumn is good. Something like this summer is ideal of course. To be honest things were so very dry this summer that I doubt that they've got bad even after the brief bit of heavy rain.

Totally dry bare peat is actually rather pleasant to walk on.

Your say
email image
14 messages