Welsh 3000 advice

14 messages
24/04/2012 at 19:47

HI,

I'm new to these boards and would like some advice.

I will be in Snowdonia for a few days in the middle of May and intend to do the Welsh 3000 Challange solo, hopefully in a time of around 15hrs or so.

My initial idea was to stay at the YHA Pen Y Pass then go up Grib Coch for the early start. Ive done the ridge a few times and been up to the summit in the dark to watch the sunrise, so I am comfortable with the route.... but it seems the YHA's is fully booked that week... so that leaves me the camping option. I know people camp on Snowdon summit but since I am doing this solo with no support, I would have to carry too much equipment putting that option out the window. That leaves me with 2 options that I can think of. 1. Camp at Llanberis at LLwyn Celyn Bach and go up the Llanberis Path to start at Snowdon, or 2. Camp at Nant Peris / Gwastadnant, walk up the road to Pen Y Pass then up to Grib Goch.

I will be leaving my car at Abergwyngregy, so getting back is not a problem

Any advice on pro's and cons with these options?

Many Thanks

24/04/2012 at 20:57
Have you considered the Pen-y-Gwryd hotel? I guess it won't be as cheap as the YHA but it's not very far to Pen-y-Pass from there.
24/04/2012 at 20:57
if you go crib goch then snowdon, what next? do you reverse?
24/04/2012 at 21:40

Thanks Matt C, I didn't think of that. I'll check that out but I have a funny feeling that it might also be booked up as there are a few events happening the weeknds either side.

Weevil - I will go halfway down the Llanberis path then cut right straight to Nant Peris. I have to admit I am not went this route before but its seems a popular route with other 3000ers.

24/04/2012 at 21:54

Rab, are you meaning the descent from Clogwyn Station down Cwm Glas Bach?

It's a good route, steep at the top section but it eases and makes a nice direct descent to Gwastadnant. It's important not to drop right from the Llanberis path too soon or you end up on steep ground with broken crags. Leave the Llanberis path just before Clogwyn station where it swings left through an underpass under the railway line. Nip around the fence that's steering you into the underpass and go another 20 or 30 m along the ridge and you'll pick up the signs of the worn path down into Cwm Glas Bach. It improves andbecomes more distinct after the initial section.

24/04/2012 at 22:00

That's the one Matt,

Your info is a bit more than what I had previously read so that will come in useful. Thanks again

24/04/2012 at 22:13
what about starting at beddgelert or rhyd ddu and doing snowdon then crib goch?
24/04/2012 at 22:19
Good description by Matt that, used it myself more than once and wouldn't have been so clear if I'd described it.
Give thought to sleeping up top and dumping your tent and gear at the campsite opposite the Vanyol Arms - then collect it after finishing. I'll be doing the W3s every weekend in May as part of my training for an ultra - I'll be staying up top and will carry my bivy etc all the way to the end. Eat well before heading up there, take food that needs no cooking and it's not such a big carry.

Best of luck!
24/04/2012 at 22:39

Weevil -  Thanks for the suggestion. I did think of that as I have went those ways before but with doing it at night I would prefer a nice obvious path so I don't need to worry too much about navigating in the dark.

hmmmm...... that might just be the thing Kelvin. I hadn't though of talking to the campsite the day before and arranging to drop off my tent..... I will definately consider that.... cheers.  I should be ok for food and fitness as I've done a few multi-mountain hikes and marathons. With you doing it several times, do you find it easier to do Snowdon or Grib Coch 1st?

24/04/2012 at 22:44
Crib Goch first for me - it's quieter to sleep there. Snowdon can be noisy due to the national 3 peaks lot celebrating finishing. Less than an hout from Crib Goch summit to Snowdon top and then down to the underpass to jump off the side.
It's definitely a head thing completing it but seeing as your motor will be at the end... you'll do it!
24/04/2012 at 22:46
Agree with lightweight bivvi on the summit - plenty of sheltered spots by the cafe wall. That saves some ascent on the day but means a rethink of route to the more classic crib goch n ridge or bwlch goch scree descents.

There are lots of big rocks down the valley you could leave things behind if you have too much to carry onwards.

If you do go the CG first route then the descent from by the railway bridge is the way to go - steep and slippy if wet but generally easy and plenty of water sources. The alternative of continuing along the ridge and dropping to Gwastadnant after Llechog is faar less well defined and no advantages that I could find.
24/04/2012 at 22:59

Very good point Kelvin about the noisey 3 peakers....... even if they are celebrating a bit prematurely since its not complete until they reach the bottom. (I never had the pleasure of celebrating that as it took me 24hrs30mins)

Thanks for the info Ron.... it looks like I should consider more with the Bivvi options.

One other question..... I am only used to crossing the CG ridge from East to West and over the pinnacles. I have read the is a path south of the 3rd Pinnacle used by trail runners. Is this easier? I never noticed it on my walks... but then I never looked for it before. Is it easy to spot?

24/04/2012 at 23:02
Never used it and never looked for it. Sorry.
24/04/2012 at 23:05
Thanks anyway
Your say
email image
14 messages