OutdoorsMagic Gear Of The Year 2012

Our favourite ten items of outdoor kit and clothing from this year - from innovative packs through to barking mad headtorches, it's all here.

Posted: 21 December 2012
by Jon

Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee
 10 of 12 

Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee

What Is It? Made from a light, super-stretchy, gridded, microfleece produced by Italian artisans, Pontitorto - yes, really - but what makes it really different is an artful hood that can be used over or under a helmet, as a full-on balaclava and with or without the lower face protection.

Why We Like It If it were just a lightweight mid-layer come winter baselayer it would be a nice bit of kit - just warm enough, really close fitting with lots of stretch and with a decent long tail too, but the cunning hood gives it loads of extra versatility.

Layer it under a shell and over a lightweight base-layer tee and it'll cope with all but the coldest conditions if you're moving fast and churning out the heat. it's good for running too. And biking. And when you need head or face protection, just get busy with the hoody. Downsides? It looks a little odd when not hooded thanks to the slanty zip and sometimes you want to use a shell jacket hood without a liner hood underneath, but mostly it's just super versatile and we're looking forward to developing an even closer relationship over winter.

Ultimate lightweight winter mid-layer top? It just might be.

More On OM  

Manufacturer Web Page 

Previous page Next page
TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle

Discuss this story

Gentle pedantry here but for some reason they left GPS out of the ipad mini so it makes a rather bad outdoors navigation device :) Nexus 7 instead perhaps.

Although Viewranger must look stupidly impressive on a full scale ipad screen ;)

Posted: 21/12/2012 at 23:18

Where did you get the info of no GPS on the ipad mini?

Posted: 23/12/2012 at 00:33

I've got viewranger on my nexus 7 so yeah, it does look the dogs danglies martin :p

This list is starting to look a little like my letter I need to send to the North Pole sharpish.

Posted: 23/12/2012 at 14:04

See more comments...
Talkback: OutdoorsMagic Gear Of The Year 2012

Promotions