Meet The Gore-Tex Experience Fan Dance Winners
The ten-person team set to attempt the infamous special forces selection challenge in the Brecon Beacons has been chosen and put into training mode...
Posted: 1 August 2012
They were actually selected a few weeks back, which means by now, the fortunate - depending on your outlook - ten people selected to attempt the notorious special forces selection Fan Dance route in the Brecon Beacons as part of the Gore-Tex Experience Tour, should be in deep training...
Originally the team was to have consisted seven people, but demand was so intense, that the number was increased to ten, with the motley final selection including six men and four women, who will take on the 23.5km route with a target time of just four hours, the same as British Special Forces candidates.
Among the winners is James Clay, a 34-year-old fundraiser, who is also an OM user, so we're hoping, if we ask nicely, he'll write up his impressions of the event on the site. Among the other successful candidates are a Latvian Laboratory Assistant, a Scottish Dog Trainer and a British Pilot, so it should make for an interesting mix.
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Jaroslav Matvejevs, a 22 year old lab assistant from Latvia;
- Lindsay Cloughley, a 29 year old dog trainer from the UK;
- Clive Länge, a 46 year old Geotechnical Engineer from the UK;
- Rachel Kerr a 28 year old Ski Instructor and clothing sales person based in France;
- Sarah Williams a 24 year old Quantity Surveyor from the UK;
- Stephen Smith a 26 year old pilot from the UK;
- James Clay a 34 year old fundraiser from the UK;
- Barry Griffin a 29 year old Legal Assistant from the UK;
- Carolyne Sanders a self-employed 43 year old from the UK;
- Brendon Roberts a 34 year old South African born Town Planner based in the UK.
Between now and the actual challenge weekend, the team will be following a training plan courtesy of British Military Fitness and on the actual weekend, they'll receive some intensive skills instruction before attempting the challenge. They'll also be kitted out in the latest Gore-Tex Active Shell breathable waterproofs, just in case...
Brilliant stuff and we're looking forward to hearing how they cope with it all.
Discuss this story