Our score:

Your score:

Add a comment...

Ooh, looks ideal for someone who runs really hot and would probably wear this when others would be wearing the standard Vapour rise.

But oh. Typical. They're not doing it in a women's fit.

Posted: 10/03/2009 at 18:49

Looks good, but not having a hood is a big miss... I love my vapour rise trail!

Posted: 11/03/2009 at 10:06

Nor in a nicer colour by the looks of it Kate!

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 03:26

Vapour-rise LITE? it's heavier than my VR Trail Stretch Top and only 50g lighter than the VR Trail Jacket

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 07:05

Well VR less warm presumably doesn't sound so good Making it more wind resistant seems slightly odd if aiming at warm month usage mind. I suppose that the dynamo - being unlined - is always going to work better as a jacket for genuine warm weather use anyway.

I'll be intrigued to see how the cut works out in detail - if its sensibly wearable as a base layer and has their 'usual' long arms then it could be tempting. A smock with venting would do that a little better of course but can't have everything.

I have a slight worry that it might have the shorter arm length of stuff like their fleeces....

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:43

The pockets are mesh-lined, and at chest height so they offer decent venting. But for me it would be better to be able to separate the wind-proof layer from the powerdry layer, which would give more versatile layering possibilities.

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 12:01

Sorry but yuck, that think looks dog ugly, or am I missing something?

It does come in a better colour I assume?

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 13:13

I'd have thought that the colour scheme of the one reviewed was entirely unjectionable if a trifle bland. Oh well (they seem to do a dark blue/constrast one too.).

It has actually occured to me that this jacket probably represents a logical response to this being worn with a base underneath - the combo of base layer + this jacket is probably roughly the same warmth as a more traditional micropile smock worn without a base layer. 

Can;t work out why no hood though.

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 20:36

Martin Carpenter wrote (see)
Can;t work out why no hood though.

The answer is because.

Here is a guy from Mountain Equipment field testing their similarly hoodless jacket. Notice how he is wearing a Shroud fleece underneath, which has a hood, yet he has tucked the hood of the Shroud away and wears a nice wooly hat instead! Why? Because!

Posted: 12/03/2009 at 22:26

I have this new version but haven't really tried it yet. The old version feels more 'comfortable' because of the lining and can certainly be worn on a tsnad alone basis, whereas the new version looks like it will certainly have to be layered. Slippin the new one one over other garments  is easier but I am not altogther convinced as yet. Time will tell. I do however also have some exceptional Baltoro Guide jackets which are samples that never made it into production, but really are fantastic. The new vpourise seems closer to these in many respects

Mike

Posted: 14/03/2009 at 06:45

Well having tried one on I have to say that they certainly gave it a really long arm length - noticeably longer than the VR trail jacket or stretch top (or the Baltoro lite for that matter.). 

They might always pick the arm lengths at random but I'd suppose not so maybe its aimed at climbers or something (or runners perhaps?)

The hood thing was just a little surprising given that the only other VR thing without a hood was the stretch top which seems to aim at being more of a base layer thing for running etc and so wouldn't benefit so much from a hood. Oh well

Posted: 15/04/2009 at 20:20

Been using this a lot for fast-moving stuff in the current cold snap, works very, very well. Decent weather protection coupled with excellent wicking and breathability and enough insulation to keep you warm enough when working hard. Teamed with Powerstretch when it gets really cold, works great.

Posted: 09/01/2010 at 11:29

Talkback: Alpkit Jeanius

First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:

Filter your results